Thursday, January 29, 2009

My essay

When I'm writing an essay, I'm usually in my dorm room.  It's easier because it's more comfortable then sitting in a library.  I always use the keyboard when I'm writing because it's much quicker.  When I write I usually have my desk lamp on and I usually listen to some alternative music like Coldplay or something, so I can stay relaxed and keep my thoughts pouring out.  My strategy is to just write everything down and forget about grammar and sentence agreements.  Those can be fixed later.  I will always revise my essay once I'm done getting all of my thoughts out because it becomes much easier organizing the paragraphs.  My circumstances are to fully complete the essay before I take a break and go back to fix mistakes.  I've done workshops before.  In high school no one seemed to take it seriously so I really didn't believe my friend when he said my essay was amazing.  In college, I trusted my peers more because they put a lot more thought into looking at my paper.  Looking at other posts I noticed that people like to write their papers at their desks.  I'm pretty confident in my writing process.  Last semester I used the same strategies for each paper and it payed off.

7 comments:

  1. I write in my dorm room too because it's quite and I can concentrate better. I had a similar experience doing workshops with peers because if they're your friends, they aren't going to be completely honest because they might not want to hurt your feelings or upset you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant listen to music it would be way to distracting for me! The same thing happened to me with high school editing. We never really did much, we mostly just corrected grammatical errors and said "it seems good!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty impressive that you always get your first draft done without taking a break. I think maybe my attention span isn't long enough to do that, I always have to do all my work in little segments or I'll go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya i agree with janice, no breaks? i end up getting snacks stretch playing a flash game or something in between my writing. It usually takes a very long time for me to finish my total paper, cause i kinda rewrite as i go. But music helps move it along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just like to get out of the way, I'll get up and stretch, but I won't go and take a break to watch tv or play a game because I'll end up procrastinating. I should have been a little more specific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exactly what I do! Well, pretty much, typing on the computer is sooo much faster than writing it out normally and music helps a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that listening to music sometimes is helpful, but I think that grammer should be slightly considered, because when you go back and read your paper you don't want to be lost because your words don't make sense. Personally, I take breaks when writing my paper because I need time to think of more ideas and ways to organize my paper, but if doing it all at once works for you go for it. You could try taking breaks maybe once because it helps with regaining thoughts and doesn't make you go crazy by sitting at your computer for so long typing something that doesn't even make sense.

    ReplyDelete